Sunday, May 24, 2015

Take Two

If my life was the movie Groundhog Day, then this is where it would all start over.....except it would be so much better!

Spring did arrive quite early and I have been able to stack a fair amount of training miles, including some decent hill rides out to Afton. Most of my riding time has been spent with my teammate, Loretta, and that proved to be so beneficial! If you don't know Loretta, all you need to know is that she is amazing and a badass! She is so strong and kicks my ass all the time, which I know helps make me a stronger rider!

Over Mother's Day weekend I was on schedule for my first century (100 mile ride) of the season, the Fulton Gran Fondo. This year was off to a great start as I completed the ride in under 6 hours. This was something I wasn't sure I could do and I was happy to look back over the ride and determine what went well, and not so well over the 100 mile course. Although I was pleasantly surprised by the Gran Fondo I was feeling overwhelmed with Almanzo looming ahead.

All smiles with Flat Stanley before the Fulton Gran Fondo

I was hoping to spend the week before Almanzo going on easy rides and hitting the yoga studio, but sometimes more important things in life happen and you end up putting minimal efforts towards either. Not knowing how my legs actually felt, or how I would perform being rested, is something I am not used to. I put faith in the previous week's ride, encouragement from friends and the base miles logged during March and April to carry me through the gravel and hills.

On Friday afternoon, Loretta and I set out to Spring Valley, MN for the Almanzo 100. We arrived at the hotel and got settled in before heading to registration. After picking up our race numbers and souvenir t-shirts we had dinner at The Pizza Place (yes, that is the actual name) and headed back to settle in for the night.



6am came way too early and I didn't feel very rested. I made some coffee and headed down to the hotel breakfast only to decide nothing looked good. After a few quick 'hellos' to friends I headed back to the room to eat the breakfast of oatmeal, strawberries, almonds and chia seeds I brought from home. Loretta and I decided to leave for the race around 8:20am so we would have plenty of time before the 9am start.

First breakfast

With less than 15 minutes before we were going to leave, the cloudy sky gave way to sprinkles which quickly turned to a steady mist. My desire to completely bail out on the ride was growing stronger with each raindrop.
 
Loretta's jersey won't be white for long!

 Flat Stanley was with me the whole way!

Luckily, the rain did end up being short lived, and stopped right before we rolled over to the start. Upon our arrival we began to see a lot of familiar faces of our teammates and friends. It was so awesome to see my Hub teammates at the starting line!

Some of the Hub babes before rollout

 Nervous smile before roll out

The race started shortly after 9 and we hit the pavement for a brief distance before making the turn for gravel. The rain had settled the dust on the course, but also created mud on the top layer, which resulted in plenty of muddy faces and butts for everyone that day. After hanging with a large pack for a few miles, Loretta and I made a move to start to get ahead of people. It was a little risky at times, due to the loose gravel we were plowing through, but we did finally get ahead and settled in to a quick pace. As the hills began I slowly started to lose Loretta and was working so hard to catch her on the downhills and flatter sections. When I felt like I couldn't chase her anymore I settled in to a slightly slower pace for a quick rest. I was soon picked up by a large group of riders and caught my relief at the end of the pace line.

I have no recollection of how long I kept riding with this group, or at what point we were no longer together, but I found myself rather solo during the middle section of the race. I skipped the first checkpoint at mile 40 and was hopeful I would not run out of water before the next one at mile 66. I had my fingers crossed that the farm, in between the two checkpoints, with water and a bathroom from last year would be open again for us.

When I passed the closed farm around mile 50, I realized how tired I was getting. Not having a consistent group to ride with was really wearing on me. And it seemed as though everyone was starting to pass me. I kept pedaling even though I felt incredibly slow and had started to question if I could even finish the race. As racers passed me I heard an all too familiar voice call out "Yo!, I'm just gonna sit back here and enjoy the view!" I only know one person with that distinctive of a voice. I laughed and answered back with "What's up, SK?" It was really awesome to see some friendly faces as he, Drew and others passed me.

Continuing on to the next checkpoint in Forestville was the most difficult part of the race. I knew I had enough food and water to get there, but my motivation was lacking and my frustration was starting to get the best of me. It was really muggy during the ride and many times due to wind, or my movements, my ponytail would get stuck to my neck, chest or arm and I would have to peel it off. It became so annoying that I found myself wishing I had a knife so I could just get rid of the damn thing! I was hot, sweaty, dirty, angry and tired!  I attempted to eat, but even that was more effort than I could muster. I knew this wasn't a good sign so instead tried to drink more water. Drinking seemed to help a little and also the thought of 'it's only 10 or so miles to go'.

As I approached Forestville I saw Loretta and my teammate Ben getting ready to leave. She asked "are you stopping?" And without hesitation I replied "no." I knew I was tired, but I also feared that if I got off my bike I wouldn't get back on. The next checkpoint was in Cherry Grove, which was only 10 miles further. I managed to survive those last 10 miles before Forestville so what's 10 more? Loretta pulled ahead of Ben and I quickly as we departed and I found myself wondering how she was staying so strong??? Then I started second guessing the whole 'only 10 miles' thing and if I could make it. But soon I saw a sign in the field for Cherry Grove. I was so relieved I was almost there.

I pulled up to the checkpoint at mile 76, set my bike down and was instantly overwhelmed! My breath became short, and I was tearful, and not sure how I was going to be able to ride the 24+ miles to the finish. I forced myself to take slow, deep breaths and reminded myself that I was okay. I also knew that I did not want to spend a lot of time at the stop so I needed to hustle. The whiskey and beer at the Banjo Brothers tent was flowing and very tempting, but I said no. Instead I opted for an electrolyte drink, a can of coke, ibuprofen and some potato chips. At this point I was actually questioning myself and my decisions ;) I rarely turn down race beers unless I am on the verge of losing my cool. I quickly peed, filled my water and decided to get back on my bike. As I was just about to leave Drew pulled in and asked "how you doing?" I could only shrug my shoulders and not say anything. He then asked "you okay?" I shook my head no and rolled out. Truth is, I felt terrible! I was ready to start sobbing and I was exhausted. My only hope was to somehow find a burst of energy to help carry me through to the finish.

To my surprise I quickly found that energy, and it was strong and powerful! Within a few miles everything had changed for the better. I felt amazing and started pushing hard. I started to think of what I had left to conquer in the race and I was able to turn those into mini markers of accomplishment. The river crossing was not too far after the Banjo Brothers tent and it felt wonderful to walk across in my shoes. I was tempted to even put my whole body in the water to help me cool off.

The next big challenge was Oriole Hill. Last year when I turned the corner and saw Oriole I immediately got off of my bike and walked it. This year I decided to attempt it rather than give up right away. I knew the worst thing that could happen by attempting it is that I would have to get off my bike part way up and walk the rest. I approached the hill and started to make the long, steep, steady climb. Looking down and seeing my speedometer say 3-4mph was definitely not a highlight, but I was getting there. And slowly, but surely I stayed on my bike and made it to the top!!! At the top I remember saying rather loudly "holy shit!" as I was feeling the burn for sure! I now 'only' had 10 more miles of the race to go!

Soon after Oriole Hill is another long, slow steep climb that felt equally as painful to get up and rewarding to get done. I was now on to the final push into the finish. The last 8 or so miles brought with it the headwind that I hadn't missed for most of the race. As a rider passed he offered to work with me through the wind. This worked for a few miles until I realized his pace was more than I could keep. I let him and another rider go and took one final rest. The last few miles passed slowly and I couldn't wait to get off my bike. I looked at the clock and knew that I did not have any time to spare if I was going to finish in under 7 hours. The cue cards (directions) and signs at the end were not super clear and against my better judgement I followed the riders ahead of me therefore missing the turn to the finish. I knew the direction I needed to go, but wasn't quite sure how to get there without backtracking. I finally saw the path to the finish across a grassy field and used it as a shortcut to get back on course. Once I was on the path I picked up the pace and gave one final hustle to the end. It felt amazing to be done! And I was pretty certain I finished in under 7 hours.

As soon as I finished I received a high 5 from Andy and a beer! I'd been waiting all race for a cold beer! I found my Hub teammates and congratulated those who finished ahead of me and waited for those behind me. I spent a few hours hanging out after the race before making the drive back home to soak in the tub and reflect upon my ride. 

So dirty!

And exhausted!

It's been a week since the race and I am still really tired! My official time ended up being 6 hours and 54 minutes! A sub 7 hour gravel century was something I hoped I could accomplish someday, but did not think it would be done at Almanzo. The more I think about my efforts and the ride, the happier I am with it all. Riding the gauntlet of emotions from not wanting to start, wanting to quit, finding strength when I really needed it, reminding myself I was getting paid (I did take vacation time for this), and knowing all along that I was okay, is a very powerful thing. Having another gravel century under my belt makes me incredibly proud, and happy to see that my hard work has yet again payed off! Next up is my revenge of (Westside) Dirty Benjamin!
-

No comments:

Post a Comment